Modulate update interval for XML API to reduce stale data

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Modulate update interval for XML API to reduce stale data

Hi,

the XML API would gain a nice improvement if some parts would get a better update interval than currently.
      The primary purpose is to get rid of stale data returned by the API.

API: universes.xml
      Current interval: once per week
      Improved: Once per day/Once per hour
      Reason: Players can move their planets every 24hours. So after 24hours the complete results are stale and can not be trusted anymore. Locations of the planets in third party applications gets currently updated by browser plugins which reports the positions and activity.

API: playerData.xml
      Current interval: ince per week
      Improved: Once per hour
      Reason: This is a little bit more complicated. I see that the update interval is related to the update interval of the universe. But this should not affect the player scores. This data can be queried by using the highscore API. But here is the problem. To get the scores for one player it takes 8 queries against the API. Much easier would it be just to query playerData and working with fresh data than with the stale ones right now.

In fact that playerData contains also planets and moons the universe API should also be updated every hour.

Cheers,
      crane
      Lock 'n load!
    • Hi crane,

it is intended that the planet information is only available once a week (or shifted between playerData and universe).
      I think that the game element of a hidden (raid) colony is essential for fleeters and would be obsolete with reducing the delay of updates of this two endpoints.

OGame is playing in the outer space. Gazing up at the sky also doesn't provide you with all available information.

Properly you can say that the costs of clicking the galaxy view was removed in v6, but anyway you need to spend time if you want absolutely all data of a player.

So you noticed that I don't want to spot this discussion with technical data. Instead this is a decision of game design and structure.

Yours

Imp
      OGame Tech