Question/criticism regarding access to API-keys

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Question/criticism regarding access to API-keys

Hi,

first of all: Please feel free to move this thread into some other subboard, when it best fits somewhere else. I was not sure about where to put it.

I must say, I am a disappointed with the "give-away" strategy of the API-keys.

As far as I understood so far, the whole point with limiting the access to the API was to only allow "trusted" projects to gain access to the API and hence disallow the access for those tools, which do something illegal and/or do not contribute to the benefit for the overall community.

But, sadly, I do notice the complete opposite; basically[1] every single request about an API-key gets approved - completely independent of whether the tool is "trusted", completely independent of whether the tool is a "benefit for the overall community", completely independent of whether the tool is even publicly available, etc.

What is the point in that?
      If nearly every person, who asks for access, is getting access, why then limiting the access at all?!
      If tools, which only are for personal usage, get access, why then disallow the normal user to get access too?!
      If tools, which are not publicly available, get access, why do we then even have the restriction with the API-keys at all?!

This is meant to be an open discussions - maybe I just do not understand the "strategy" behind it, but currently for me it looks like there is not strategy at all.

[1]: Except from very special exceptions