Auction redesign

• Usability

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Auction redesign

Hi there,

Because of all the spammers that add multiple auctions in one second, I think there should be taken in account an action redesign.

My idea is: the timer should be exact, and displayed for all players to see (example: auction starts at 30 min. and it ends at exactly 0.00 exactly). For that the auction value should not be displayed, only player name. Ability to raise your auction should still be possible, but the buttons to add 1.000 auction points over the last value should be removed, and only the cases where you can add the auction should be displayed.
      This should push players to auction big values, as much as their pockets afford.
      Without the "Add 1000 over the current value" button and the ability to see how much other players auctioned, the endless spams from players that add continuously 1000 auction points, with or without scripts, should stop.

I hope this will be tanken in account.

Regards,

Denis
    • I think it's a good idea, there's too many players that just start adding 1k resources at the last moment and displaying the exact time the auction finishes and not been able to see others players bets would stop this final flood.
    • One of the most attractive properties of auctions is that no one knows when they will end. So, players can not "foresee" to win that auction. Therefore, players must be expectant and focused to avoid losing the auction, which generates some fun.

If players know exactly when it ends, they will wait until last second of the auction and then they bet enough resources to win... That's means we lose all the fun ... For example, if 3 o 4 players do this, most lucky of them will be winner (who has been selecting the maximum amount, just by luck).

About the SPAM ... Could be limited in any way. I think 3 every 15 minutes would be too restrictive and unfair (for example, if players 'A' and 'B' bet 3 times last 15 minutes), I would say:

- Unable to perform 2 consecutive bets. (this is the key to avoid most complaints)
      - If only one player has bid after you, to overcome the bet you must add 10% of the current bid.
    • there have been numerous proposals to "fix" this current auction design over a long period of time. the biggest improvement to date has been ability to suppress the bid result msg spam causing lag late in the bidding process. for me the next improvement would be 24 hour auctions because I have very limited time to participate located 5 hours behind system time. IMHO any new design proposal will find a degree of advantage/abuse by a few players in attendance at any given time. therefore I will withhold any input beyond 24 hour auction improvement.
    • Danimanza wrote:

One of the most attractive properties of auctions is that no one knows when they will end. So, players can not "foresee" to win that auction. Therefore, players must be expectant and focused to avoid losing the auction, which generates some fun.

If players know exactly when it ends, they will wait until last second of the auction and then they bet enough resources to win... That's means we lose all the fun ... For example, if 3 o 4 players do this, most lucky of them will be winner (who has been selecting the maximum amount, just by luck).

About the SPAM ... Could be limited in any way. I think 3 every 15 minutes would be too restrictive and unfair (for example, if players 'A' and 'B' bet 3 times last 15 minutes), I would say:

- Unable to perform 2 consecutive bets. (this is the key to avoid most complaints)
      - If only one player has bid after you, to overcome the bet you must add 10% of the current bid.

It was just a proposal of how to stop the bid spams permanently, in my opinion. Your idea to let players bid only other players, and not themselves is not bad, but it has an "error" too. There can still be made bots that bid direcly over your bid without the need of a "Bid 1000 over the last player" button. The best way is that players don't see how much the last player has bid, even if the bids are in the last few seconds. It will take away the "charm" of playing very active in the bidding zone, but in my opinion that doesn't represent ogame at all, not even a little. Yes, players will most certainly bid in the last few seconds, or will bid very high at the beginning, but you can concentrate more on playing ogame, and less on auctioning.

Auctioning is just a way of getting some items, but doesn't interfer with ogame's charm.