Circular galaxy discussion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Circular galaxy discussion

Circular galaxy discussion:

Ever wonder what kind of galaxy is laid out in a straight line, with two distinct ends? No galaxy anywhere ever, that's the answer! Galaxies are disc shaped, spiral, circular, even spherical, but never exist as a line. Of course, my suggestion isn't that we be realistic, I think that galaxies should be made circular for very practical purposes. As it is right now, the first and last systems of a galaxy (eg, 1:1 and 1:499) are 498 systems apart, the distance between them is actually further than the distance from one galaxy to the next! My point is not that its absurdly unrealistic, unrealism can be an essential game element. If we make galaxies circular, that is, so that there is no 'end' or 'middle', so that 1:499 is immediately to the 'left' of 1:1, and so that no two systems in a single galaxy can be more than 249 systems apart, we still have the same amount of space but we bring all coordinates closer together.

Say you land a planet in 1:2:3, and you get a moon with a fancy phalanx on it, and you find yourself doing a lot of raids and using a lot of IPMs for turtle cracking. Now, were you positioned in 1:250:5 instead, you could launch attacks, conduct phalanx scans and pummel with nukes targets in BOTH directions, not just one! Making galaxies circular brings fairness in this sense. It also makes it harder for people to hide from one another, encouraging more interactions in the game.

I would actually suggest that this is a change which could be implemented not as a new feature in new universes, but in the next patch. Sure, many players have invested a great deal of time and resources into having a safe haven away from the more fussy areas of a given galaxy, but aren't they just taking the "Game" out of "OGame"? Who wants to play "O"? Why, you can't play O at all! Let's patch it in and see what happens! It could be very exciting! At the very least, it would be more convenient for a lot of people, making the universe smaller but with no less space!

And if realism does have any value, the nature of OGame's galaxies would now be explicable. Each of the nine galaxies in every universe is a perfect disc of the same size. Each galaxy has three regions; the core (full of large stars, black holes, intermittent supernova, problematic quasars and pulsars and such other nuisances that render the space uninhabitable and unnavigable); the fringes (where we go for our expeditions, full of aliens and pirates and rogue planets and dark matter and random dying stars of no use to anybody); and the nice habitable ring in the middle, exactly one solar system thick, which rings around the galaxy and leads back to itself. THIS is where the game is played!

it was me who suggested that... [i was responding to opposition to the idea of implementing circular universes - that is galaxy 1 and 9 being neighbours - in old unis] maybe i was a bit tongue in cheek, but not entirely... i dont think we should be too worried about changing people's circumstances, everyone can adapt to a new situation, if theres suddenly a bit more traffic in your system than you were used to, well, first of all, that could happen anyways. second of all, its not like you cant deal with it, third of all it might actually be fun to deal with it! i think we're putting nails in the old unis coffin if we're not willing to change them up a bit. If the old unis start to die, or even some of the unis that are only a year or two old, because another universe with another set of rules/different geography is taking everyone else, a lot of good experienced players might just quit. obviously retention is the key thing to balance, but i dont think we can be sure what effect making galaxies (not unis) circular would have on retention without experimenting with it.

Really, I think what would help OGame find good workable ideas is if entire universes that are already operating could vote to accept or reject a proposal that their uni test a new feature like this. Pay people with dark matter to fill in surveys (multiple choice) about what they think of the changes after the first week, month, two months, 4 months, 6 months, gather data to tweak the idea appropriately along the way (and also to assess whether it would be a good idea to apply the changes in another uni) and then have another vote to see whether or not they want to keep the feature.

---

My apologies if the message is a bit long to read in one sitting. I hope something comes out of this, and I'll try to be available to flesh out and develop any ideas that spark any interest among you.
  • =D! Glad you like :)

I really would like to see this implemented, in old unis as well as new, what can I do to help that happen? It seems that most here are mods from one OGame server or another, perhaps you all have a better idea than I of the next step.
  • I like a lot this concept !

HodyCall wrote:

It also makes it harder for people to hide from one another, encouraging more interactions in the game.
    Yes ^^

And combined with this other concept I gave here in August 2010 :

Like that for exemple:
    and we should use "planetary system" instead of "Galaxy view" which is totally wrong today !

Planet 15N
    " 14N
    " 13N
    " 12N
    " ...
    " 3N
    " 2N
    " 1N

A nice space with a star like our sun in that space !
    Planet 1S
    " 2S
    " 3S
    " ...
    " 13S
    " 14S
    " 15S

N for North (of the star or Sun if you prefer, but a star in reality)
    S for South ( " " " " " )

I think I'm going to present you a solution which title could be :

A solution from now to ... as far as you want !

As far as you want if you add interactions between universes ^

Le bonheur est souvent la seule chose qu'on puisse donner sans l'avoir,
    et c'est en le donnant qu'on l'acquiert ^ Voltaire.
  • Opinion on the quoted above:
    I dont think that each system needs the Norht/South planet stuff thingy whatever ^^
    I like the way how each system works nowadays and actually is totally right... here an example:
    We know that planets orbit around a sun (normaly). So our sun has "rings" of planets, similar like a onion.
    Now if we want to count all planets by drawing it on a piece of paper (or paint) it would look like so:

If we'd had north and south planets, it would basically destroy all logic in how these things work (in reality).
    your way would always have 2 planets on the same orbit which always stand in a direct line through the sun (asumed they are orbiting around the sun)

---------
    but thats not the topic here ^^
    after overflying the second part of the idea... which wasnt very interesting :/ i still like the idea
  • Well, the ninth galaxy has never been a good place to hide anyway, yet the outcome of such raiders-oriented update is a little bit hard to predict. ;) Not that I argue, it just doesn't solve the core population problem - boosting only existing competitive factor. On the other hand, this is a well-timed proposal to level the balance between farming and the upcoming noob protection changes, so, +1. 8)
  • I'm glad you guys like it, the original thread has also garnered a lot of support for the idea:

board.ogame.org/board684-ogame…8-make-galaxies-circular/?

One guy there really hates the ideas of circular universes, with galaxy 9 suddenly neighbouring galaxy 1, but he is an extreme miner speaking for extreme miners :) there have been suggestions that players with planets in G9 could be appeased with relocations. But that's just for circular unis... circular galaxies, i think everyone would be OK

what is the next step, now that this idea has wide support on .org and origin?

PS: the idea of having 30 planets in a system, 2 on each orbital track... whoa! i dont know man! but I do like the idea of being able to target the sun... could we crash our fleets into it?
  • Well, you are right Toxicterror and Azgaroth but just for fun I like this concept (without North and South if you prefer) but just to have a star (like the sun) in the middle of the star-system view.

HodyCall wrote:

PS: the idea of having 30 planets in a system, 2 on each orbital track... whoa! i dont know man! but I do like the idea of being able to target the sun... could we crash our fleets into it?
    :)

This idea was an idea to obtain less uniserses (2 universes into only one ^)

• Gentlemens, Lady. This idea is exactly what the Ogame should have. Either the circular galaxy, either the view of the solar system where you can see the sun, which could lead in future to next ideas for using the sun.

Therefore, i'll gladly support you with this idea :thumbsup:

I like it +1

Btw.: Only one note to you, Hodycall. Never ever ! tell this "Let's patch it in and see what happens!". Each idea or plan must be elaborated before deployment, as the deployment itself isn't so easy and you can't roll back everytime you want.
    -Ogame Recension-
    Ogame need a change!
    -Check my account for my ideas-
  • Toxicterror wrote:

short: using the sun as a new expo position with other benefits than pos 16

;) not the Sun but an ordinary star which is the center of an extrasolar planetary system ^
    This "ordinary star" could be dwarf, giant, super-giant .... as you like to create all kinds of events !