Make the relevant equations to the game publicly available in an official way

• Declined

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Make the relevant equations to the game publicly available in an official way

I know the answer for this hasn't been positive, but at least to make a formal suggestion here in Origin.

In the past many communities (it varies from one to another) made many equations publicly available. Not in a beautiful and congruent way, but at least they tried. Now that we have Origin, it's the perfect opportunity to make an official and centralized database of relevant equations.

As of today, it's a mess. One can go to OGame Wikia and find a few correct equations, and a few incorrect ones; one can go to old threads in certain communities and find some equations that still work and some that are outdated (by more than 7 or 8 years); and last, there are also some equations ingame with complete random as to why the equation is there, for instance the Fusion Plant. Also there are some threads with tables with temperature and planet size. But everything is “fragmented”.

I think it's doable, and would be a nice touch, to give updated equations to the community in a centralized, up to date, and structured thread.

I know there are some equation that GameForge for some reason doesn't want to share, a thing I don't understand in its entirety (like the algorithm to decide which percentage of probes spying on a planet being detected); but for the rest of them, it would be really really nice. In case some of that is not publicly available it would be nice to mention variables or a little explanation with words (in case of % of detecting an espionage, you could say that it depends of number of ships on the defender planet, difference between levels of espionage research, number of probes, etc. or whatever it depends on).

Al in all, it would be nice to have in a unified style all equations and info about every building and research and aspect of the game. As an example, here's a list of relevant equations (that is not complete): cost of each level (and cumulative cost of to a certain level), energy consumption for each mine level (and cumulative), resource production for each level (and cumulative), energy produced by solar plant and fusion plant, moonchance (I know the % now depends of the real phase of the moon, but at least comment on that), % of moon destruction, distance between two planets (how to calculate), flight time between to planets (depending, amongst others, on the speed of the slowest ship), energy production of solar satellite, capacity of storage containers a certain level, capacity of the alliance depot, time necessary to build a building, a ship, or finish a research (to see how much time each level of robots, nanobots, shipyard, lab, research network, etc. affects the production time), how ACS work and the limits it has regarding flight time change, etc.

It basically boils down to document the game behaviour, from a more mathematic point of view. I think the “base” work of just bringing all the info together is not difficult, although to get to a really good and complete thread, it might need a lot of effort, but I'm sure many of us are open to contribute.
    • I've been debated this idea to myself for quite some time now, but to me though still seems like if there was an actually Manual or the like, other than what is a Wiki and Guides, alot of interests for such wouldn't be needed as much.

Given, I still yet to get some of my own questions answered, even if I didn't ask of much for any. But do know they rest simply on just practical information for answers still to more say complex things.

Which by the numbers could say still answer without the question, let alone to still say of for a question and/or answer. But doesn't really say is the answer by then than just of one to say still.

Then, if at anytime they use say "Random Probability", exact numbers is still good for after the fact stuff, which is nice to verify, but would seem to be for closer numbers by then to do so, then most numbers given. Especially if the end results final outcome is essentially to always add-up to say.

And to me to make a Text-Based game based of an RTS to be one, you need "Random Probability" for base function. And again still as such, seems to say "feed" the "after-the-fact" situation still, which I would say is still the worth for why of in interest for mathematics to use than otherwise.

I understood the need but understand say the loss. And think there is still one good "thought" left for why as well. Which is usually what I get as answer for such, but still doesn't explain to me though like where there isn't a manual or the like otherwise.

But, can wait to see I guess.

Thanks,

Kellogen
    • ErikFyr wrote:

I don't think it will happen because current equations used for the game are a secret, that way we can also prevent people from making a copy of OGame or something like that, which still happens sometimes :)

It's best only those who need them gets them, like add-on developers or something like that :)

Exactly!

As far as I know the origin team is working on the wiki, so many parts and needed informations are or will be listed there. But yeah Gameforge will never public those informations :)

LG
      Being a QA is sort of like being a goal keeper. People only talk about you when you’ve screwed up. We are the silent guardians of game development, and they will never have to thank us.