Pinned An story/anecdote/quote every day

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

An avatar, a concept in Hinduism that means "descent", refers to the material appearance or incarnation of a deity on earth. The relative verb to "alight, to make one's appearance" is sometimes used to refer to any guru or revered human being. Theologically, the term is most often associated with the Hindu god Vishnu, though the idea has been applied to other deities.

In the new technologies and on the Internet, the word avatar is associated with the graphic representation (through a drawing or a photograph) of a person for identification.

This term began to be used in the iconographic sense referred to in this article by the designers of several role-playing games, such as Habitat in 1987 or Shadowrun in 1989. Although it was not until 1992 that it really began to popularize, thanks to Neal Stephenson in his cyberpunk novel entitled Snow Crash, where this term was used to describe the virtual simulation of the human form in Metaverse, a version of the Internet in virtual reality. The social status within the Metaverse used to be based on the quality of the user's avatar. Stephenson said that he had invented the use of this word unaware that it had been used in this way befor.

Snow Crash

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Crash

Because my will is as strong as yours and my kingdom as great ...

You have no power over me.
    • Spanish curiosity

We have TWO surnames. When a child is born, he/she takes the first surname of the father and the first surname of the mother (it can be the reverse: the mother's first).

Only in Spain and Portugal does that happen.

And it is disconcerting for us when a woman loses her birth surname when she is married, to adopt that of her husband. Our women never lose their surnames, nor after they are married, they are the same throughout their lives.

• Great earthquake in a third world country, all devastated. A meeting of all the countries that offer help to divide the work.

The head of the operation: Today Friday XX/XX/XXX we meet to agree on the necessary tasks for the reconstruction ... blah, blah, blah .... and we have decided:

Germany will be responsible for rebuilding the hospitals. The Germans: very well we will start tomorrow.

France will be in charge of rebuilding the schools. The French: it will be an honor, we will begin to ask for the necessary materials for the task.

England will be in charge of building houses for people who have run out of them. The English: Tomorrow we begin to study the infrastructure that the project needs.

Spain has the task of building all the bridges. The Spanish: An honor, we started today with great pleasure with the task. See you Monday!.

• Two Egyptians go through the desert. Suddenly one stumbles on something.

- Hey, look what a weird rock!.
      - Yes, it looks like a pyramid.
      They start excavating both and unearth a pyramid.
      - It's a pyramid!.
      - Oh, yes! I have an idea!.
      - Tell me!.
      - Let's warn the American archeological team. These people are professional and sure they know all this.
      - Right!.

They warn the American archaeological team that comes with its jeeps, trailers, caravans and helicopters full of scientific equipment. They get into the pyramid and after two years they leave.

- Wow ... yes they have taken their time. What have you found out? says one of the Egyptians.
      - Well - the American team spokesman says - after laborious investigations we have found out that this pyramid was built between 1500 and 2000 BC.
      - Only that, after two years they've only found out that?.
      - You are right.

The two Egyptians decide to call the German investigators.
      - Those are more launched in this type of research.
      The Germans come, they enter the pyramid, they spend two years and they leave.

- What...?
      - We have found out - says the German - that this pyramid was built safely around 1700 BC.
      - And...?.
      - Well we could not find out more, the hieroglyphs are very complicated.

The two Egyptians huff with resignation.
      - We have no choice but to warn the Spanish team.

The Spanish arrive, they get inside and in two days they leave.

- Soon! What have you found out?.

- We have found out that the pyramid was completed in 1857 BC at the orders of Pharaoh Ankhetop IV. That day was cloudy and a group of priests opposed the construction ... blah, blah, blah ... involved more than 2000 unskilled slaves who tried to put together a revolt ... blah blah ... ..... Pharaoh's wife wore an exclusive outfit of ... blah blah ........... influence on the tongue was seen in ... blah, blah, blah ...

- Wait, wait, says one of the Egyptians. How did you find out all this?.

- Well, it has cost us, the truth has cost us, but after long efforts, in the end... the mummy has spoken!!!.

Excavations in Spain find the head of an Egyptian pharaoh ...