accessibility considerations

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• accessibility considerations

Hello,
      I am a totally blind player utilizing a screen reader to play. For the most part, the site is accessible. There are a few things though which might help quite a lot.
      1. On every screen you see a list of resources you have. If it could say the resource next to it, that would be great. If that would not look appealing, please consider using screenreader only elements that would still show the words to the reader, but not display them visually. For some info on this: webaim.org/techniques/css/invisiblecontent/
      2. When viewing the tech tree for an individual system (so for example research->impulse drive), the icons do not tell the screen reader what the item is. So for example I just see something like game/index game/index 3/4 3/6. Interestingly, the technology tab displays this information perfectly--this could be made to look like the technology tab.
      3. When there are unread reports in the feed, I just see a random number. It would be nice if it was something like 1 unread in news feed (you could put the unread in news feed as hidden text the screen reader would recognize). This also happens with chats.
      4. When researching or purchasing something, it does not specify which resources will be used. A few times I've researched something thinking it takes metal and crystal, only to find out it takes crystal and deut. This should also be made to speak the resource type via hidden text.
      5. Apparently under actions in galaxy view there is a way to attack a player or do anything besides send message, probes or add to buddy list. I do not see these; they should be visible.
      6. I most recently spent some dm on resources and that page is more than unaccessible. I'm not sure how exactly it works, but perhaps it could be redesigned so that people purchasing resources with DM know exactly what they're getting.
      7. When looking at technology trees (and other areas of the game), there is a button which closes that dialog, but which only says button. This should say that it's a closse button.
      8. On the hire commander link, I actually see some weird HTML as if it's not being escaped properly. Mostly br/ and span used for marking up important text.
      9. In the active player list, if I close tabs it would be nice if they would stay closed and not expand automagically unless I leave them expanded. Perhaps it could just say alliance (x) where x is unread messages?
      10. I would be interested in answering any questions, testing, or basically doing anything I can to help this effort. Please let me know if there is any way I can be of assistance.
      Thanks,
    • more thoughts

Further concerns, thoughts/etc:
      1. When upgrading something there are numbers like 109. (same for building ships). Those could be separated, maybe 9->10. That would make everything a lot easier to read.
      2. There are a lot of links that read void(0). For example, on the overview page grouped with the relocate, abandon/rename. There is also another "game/index" link under my planets followed by another void(0) link.
      3. When accepting a buddy request, the links are not labeled so you can't tell which is which. The report link is also not labeled; I only figured out it was report when I viewed the HTML source.
      4. When viewing messages and logs the arrows to move from page to page aren't noted as links. There also appears to be no way to actually remove messages.
      5. The resource ssettings page is a bit clunky to navigate. For example I couldn't figure out how to make my mines use less resources from within the page itself.
      6. Debris fields are pictures when viewing under galaxy, but there's no way to know how much debris is there. I presume that the picture might show something useful, but all I see is a graphic.

Thanks,
    • Hello sorressean,

I dont want to leave a thread like this unanswered too long, but sometimes it lasts a while until we can answer on topics like this one.
      I have forwarded your concerns and suggestions about improving the accessability, but i cant define how much work it is and if it gets implemented.
      I know that this answer is not a perfect one, but unfortenately its not in my hands to do anything more than forward it.
      Thanks of course too for your offer to help with your experience here.
      I think it could be helpful and maybe Gameforge will come back to this, if they need too.

Best Regards
      TheViking
    • Hello:
      I certainly do hope they make this accessible. I've already lost insane amounts of honor points and dm that I paid for because of accessibility issues. I do have to admit I'm a bit bothered by everyone telling me that it might happen but not to hold my breath. Would there be some way of getting my money back? It seems a bit foolish to pay for something that I can barely use.