Pinned Discussion about merging universes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Basically it says something along the lines of:

There are some major changes/updates in the pipeline.
      Merging of Universes hasn't been forgotten so please be patient
      New newbie protection system will go into a public test phase soon

Currently 3 versions of OGame are being developed (or more correctly, 3 sets of updates are being developed simultaneously), it may not be clear or easy to understand why it's being done this way but it's progressing well
    • Thank you Kebab.

I hope WeTeHa will give us some precisions concerning the 3 sets of updates because it's not clear for us that the GF is not preparing a unique software for the future, including features that the former players won't like at all in their old universes.

Re-thanks in advance.

Le bonheur est souvent la seule chose qu'on puisse donner sans l'avoir,
      et c'est en le donnant qu'on l'acquiert ^ Voltaire.
    • I understand WeTeHa in this way :

1. Version : Fusion
      2. Version : New Noob protection
      3. Version : Bugfix version (+ minor changes ?)

I think they just want to be independant on problems with one set.

For example the Bugfix version should be used, every time it is "bugfree" without waitng for a finished fusion version.

Also they want to test the new noob protection without a finished fusion version.

So they have 3 versions in parallel pipelines.

Because otherwise the developers will have to wait for a finished test, before they can develop the next version based on the feed-back.

So they can develop new version of fusion, and while this is tested, they can develop a new version of noob protection. And so on.

Edit :
      PS: I think they will "deactivate" the new noob protection for the old universes by setting the factors so, that they are not taking effect (for example the fleet escape with a factor of 1.000.000 instead of 5)
      So they will have the same version for all universes.
    • SlowMotion wrote:

I understand WeTeHa in this way :

1. Version : Fusion
      2. Version : New Noob protection
      3. Version : Bugfix version (+ minor changes ?)

I think they just want to be independant on problems with one set.

For example the Bugfix version should be used, every time it is "bugfree" without waitng for a finished fusion version.

Also they want to test the new noob protection without a finished fusion version.

So they have 3 versions in parallel pipelines.

Because otherwise the developers will have to wait for a finished test, before they can develop the next version based on the feed-back.

So they can develop new version of fusion, and while this is tested, they can develop a new version of noob protection. And so on.

Edit :
      PS: I think they will "deactivate" the new noob protection for the old universes by setting the factors so, that they are not taking effect (for example the fleet escape with a factor of 1.000.000 instead of 5)
      So they will have the same version for all universes.
      Yes this is right,
      v2.x
      merge
      bugfix/polishing
      v3
      newb

As for the noob protection, we don't know yet - it can be deactivated and can be customized, so might be that old universes don't get it or might be that they get it in a changed format.
    • I dont think, that GF will have two source code versions in active universes. They will be able to "disable" the new noob protected by adjusting the parameter.

Otherwise they will be forced to do a bug fix two two source code trees, and this ist a well known NOGO in software development.

I think somewhere WeTeHa told this. But at the moment I cannot find it. Sorry.
    • Kebab wrote:

As for the noob protection, we don't know yet - it can be deactivated and can be customized, so might be that old universes don't get it or might be that they get it in a changed format.
      That's what I was saying here ^^
      the newb protection can be turned off (deactivated) and can be customized (have parameters changed), it's not different source codes, it's simply customizing like with % fleet to df and ACS on/off for example.
    • SlowMotion wrote:

I dont think, that GF will have two source code versions[...]

but it is quite usual to have more code versions (called branches). version control system are allowing you to do so. the main problem by doing this is to merge them later because you may have some complications...

(dont ask me how often i forgot to copy some code from one branch to another or how many problems i have caused because i needed to change the api of my frameworks code...)
    • SlowMotion wrote:

I dont think, that GF will have two source code versions in active universes. They will be able to "disable" the new noob protected by adjusting the parameter.

Otherwise they will be forced to do a bug fix two two source code trees, and this ist a well known NOGO in software development.

I think somewhere WeTeHa told this. But at the moment I cannot find it. Sorry.

marshen wrote:

SlowMotion wrote:

I dont think, that GF will have two source code versions[...]

but it is quite usual to have more code versions (called branches). version control system are allowing you to do so. the main problem by doing this is to merge them later because you may have some complications...

(dont ask me how often i forgot to copy some code from one branch to another or how many problems i have caused because i needed to change the api of my frameworks code...)

I know the problems :)

I think, they use branches for development, but I dont think that they will have two versions in active universes as released versions, like "Old Design" and "Redesign", or "With Fusion" and "Without Fusion".
    • Thank you for your posts ^^

What I retain :

Kebab wrote:

Yes this is right,
      v2.x
      merge
      bugfix/polishing
      v3
      newb

I think that "it can be deactivated and can be customized" is the best method to be able to adapt every universe to the wishes of both : players and the GF

Please, continue giving us informations like these ones, I think we are able to understand them.

• benneb wrote:

WTH does not share info here, and post only in the German forum :(
      those infos are needed by all coms :/
      I agree with force, of course !
      The players want and need informations given directly by the GF itself ! and OO is the best place to do that !
      Otherwise the players think that the GF ignores them (even on OO) and that's really a pity ...
      When we (ordinary players) report such informations given directly by the GF into our boards, the players appreciate a lot and the GF's image improves !
      Please, think of it !

Moreover I think that communication is easy to do.

P.S.: I know all the very good work done by Francolino but Francolino isn't part of the GF, isn'it ?
      Please tell me if I am wrong

• Thanks Kebab ^^

but for me it's necessary a GF's responsible talks directly with us for all the reasons I gave above !

Another thing :

I saw new feature (invite friends) in v2.2 and, of course, I think it would be done only after the unifusion in order to avoid a lot of problems in our overcrowded ss during the fusions !

• What's the status of the testing of merging universes in ogame.de?

I imagine asking for a soft fusion (just 2 universes e.g) is out of the place. But it should be great this small step, in universe where there are only 100-200 people playing, the ogame experience is really sad, and some more players (even only another 100) would be greatly appreciated
    • Badkarma, that's normal...

All tests to be checked.
      - I can build a new mine (yes/no)
      - I can make an attack (yes/no)
      - I can send my fleet on a moon (yes/no)
      - I can send a PM (yes/no)
      - etc...

Every test has to be done many times by different persons. It means a minimum of 5 days per test (and I didn't count the etc...).

So let GF take some time (and drink a beer between 2 tests - if the previous test is successful, they need to congrat themselves, and if not, they need some support). The problem is that after some beers, they are not as efficient as usual (the good news is that it makes no difference)
    • A little update for you guys. The tests are now done and the version is (more or less) complete.
      Now we're just waiting for some background things to be finished and made ready then we're sorted. In my opinion maybe 6-8 weeks?