Why do we use 'mrd or milliard' instead of billion for spanish speaking countries?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why do we use 'mrd or milliard' instead of billion for spanish speaking countries?

Argentina, Mexico and Spain do not use mrd

Wikipedia wrote:

1,000,000,000 (one billion, short scale; one thousand million or milliard, yard,[1] long scale) is the natural number following 999,999,999 and preceding 1,000,000,001. One billion can also be written as b or bn.[2][3]
      In scientific notation, it is written as 1 × 109. The metric prefix giga indicates 1,000,000,000 times the base unit. Its symbol is G

Previously in British English (but not in American English), the word "billion" referred exclusively to a million millions (1,000,000,000,000). However, this is no longer as common as earlier, and the word has been used to mean one thousand million (1,000,000,000) for some time.[4] The alternative term "one thousand million" is mainly used in the U.K., or countries such as Spain that uses "one thousand million" as one million million constitutes a billion. The worded figure, as opposed to the numerical figure (one thousand million/1,000,000,000) is used to differentiate between "one thousand million" or "one billion".

As said, billion equals to 1012
    • It seems to me that Charlie, with all his good will, has made the "picha un lío" (no translation, hahahaaa).

In Spain and other Latin countries, one billion means one million of millions (10 ^ 12), unlike the Anglo-Saxon countries that one billion means one thousand of millions (10 ^ 9).

That is why in some Spanish and Latin American newscasts they say real barbarities, because they translate the Anglo-Saxon billion as if it were a Spanish billion, a great mistake.

However, some years ago the Royal Spanish Academy of the Language admitted the word miliard, which is now correct, and means one thousand of million (10 ^ 9) like Anglo-Saxon billion.

Another characteristic of Spanish numerical system is that we use the , (comma) for the decimals (in the Anglo-Saxon countries use . point), and the point to separate the thousands (, comma in the Anglo-Saxon countries).

I hope that the matter is now clear.

Best regards.

PD: Charlie, you owe me a beer for the explanation, hehe.

Because my will is as strong as yours and my kingdom as great ...

You have no power over me.