Login is closed for Retro server

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• At this point the inactivity is the main problem. A lot of players risk to lose the accounts without faults.
      The second one is probably the protection of the accounts: if the production is still running (with the depots bug), the simple v-mode for the accounts is not enough anymore and something like an attack ban is required. A days long attack ban, i would say.. because like the last time not everyone could be able to log at day one.
      Or also another backup is an option, even if for us players could be similarly annoying.
      #6 Retro server - Fra [N O X]
      #5 Andromeda.us - Fra.. [Dynamic]
    • Canarefr wrote:

The second one is probably the protection of the accounts: if the production is still running (with the depots bug), the simple v-mode for the accounts is not enough anymore and something like an attack ban is required.
      I don't quite understand you. Why mass v-mode wouldn't be enough?

It's not like anyone can attack you when you're in VM and it's your own choice when to go out of VM and start to play again.
      Personally I prefer non attack ban above mass VM simply because with mass VM many players stay in VM and server become even more inactive however VM protection is 100% protection as long you don't decide to come back and remove it.

btw. it's sort of annoying (but not surprising anymore) to wait those gf snails to put out a word what's going on or even better to fix it.
      ex #1st ranked uni14 .org
      ex #1st ranked uni1 .us
      ex #1st ranked andromeda .si
    • attack ban, because there will be again many players with wayyy to many res on the planets and who can not save them (without spamming ships/defense). 1 day long no attacks so that everyone can gather and redistribute his resources without building useless things

If they will use a back up, this becomes obsolete.

But I hope that they don't use a backup, the res we gathered during downtime is a little motivation to continue playing. IMHO a backup would lead do a higher account lose.

I believe that only a few could use this new bug. I did sound like you have to know what you do. So ban them for bugusing and let the others play - without a backup.
    • I disagree with my ally mate. I don't see why they should introduce an attack ban. It's up to everyone to come out from v-mode. if you do that, you have to figure out how to spend the res. You can always spend the res in ships or defense if you are not able to move them...

any case, lets hope they re-open the serve soon..if the trend is the same as the two last times, i think not many players will come out from v-mode again...
    • So no attack ban here as suggestion to help and make it easier for those who advantaged from this downtime the most already anyway? (ie. miners without enough of cargo capacity).
      By my opinion everyone should handle their own matters once out of VM by himself without additional help of gameforge.

Update. Like WiZ^ above said.
      ex #1st ranked uni1 .us
    • Exactly, because the players who will take advantage from this downtime are the miners, while the fleeters and the raiders will not take the same advantage since of course no one of us could move the fleet in those weeks :D

so, we may catch up by farming the players who will not be able to organize and move the res or that recklessly come out from v-mode thinking that no one can farm them :thumbsup:
    • I think that the few resources that can be stolen from who is not able to move it won't be an advantage for fleeters, as you think. And will be even worst for raiders.

Because the simple consequence of this excess of resources is the general turtling. Don't you remember what happened after the last long shutdown? one day of decent profit, then big cries because most players out of top 100 just used the res in defenses.

That's why i named also the backup possibility even if that would be the worst for me, personally.

p.s. @Sorcy, who were you in adromeda.us? if it's true that you was top1, you should know me VERY well.
    • When server run everyone chose his own way of growth, dedication and time spent in game with risks involved in this. But without server running no one should advantage with that and yet miners do. Unless production of all players would completely stop in a moment of server downtime there's not much what can be done and we must accept that, however I strongly disagree to additionally help to those who by pure luck unfairly advantaged above other players becaue of downtime.

If everyone would get same amount of free resource while server was down I would be all for it. But what they are asking now is help of gameforge to utilize their unfairly gained profit more efficiently with less effort. I am against it.

VM is more than enough and miners still get advantage in game from this downtime.
      ex #1st ranked uni1 .us
    • of course miners get the most from this downtime (because of storage bug).

And I personally wouldn't need an attack ban.
      But there are many small/new player with accounts which are not in the slightest prepared for those amounts of res.When those get farmed, they will loose the interested in playing this server quicker than a top200 miner who got farmed once. Which would lead to an even faster server death. Therefore, to give the smaller guys a chance an attack ban would be nice.
      Of course, they could build ships and defense, but this doesn'T solve the problem. Example: A small player pushes all his res in the shipyard, after a full night of producing a fleeter sees the new ships and kills them. The small player is pissed and quits. Sure he could just check every 5hours and save the new ships. But seriously not everyone is such a "hardcore" gamer, these times are over.

I don't think that an attack ban for only lower players is possible, therefore it has to be a complete attack ban.

This being said. Actually I don't think that there will be an attack ban at all. Simple reason: IMHO attack ban is not implemented on this server (or it is bugged) ...
    • Canarefr wrote:

p.s. @Sorcy, who were you in adromeda.us? if it's true that you was top1, you should know me VERY well.

[Cursed] Speadge

All biggest initial HoFs were more or less mine, continuing .org tradition.
      For goodbye tired of game at that time I crashed my fleet into those russians and Diavolcicy overtook my (still big and well developed) account. I don't know what happened with my acc later.
      While I was playing there my only rival was this prominent and well known .org cheater Berzerk with his doggy Noel. All others were miles away.

Cursed at that time with some legendary .org players (Destruction, Godfather/TQK, RaZmAn, DanCake - some short time, Deneb - I think ... or he was just troll at forum with us, not sure anymore, etc ... ) ruled over universe, but most of them quit server even before me :)

To be honest, I don't remember your current nickname. It's 8 - 9 years since then. In case you weren't there that time yet I found this old log in early stage of game at the day I gained (and since then keeped) rank even before Cursed was re-formed
      URL: andromeda.us #1
      & and this one too
      Now we're way offtopic, aren't we? :)
      ex #1st ranked uni1 .us

The post was edited 3 times, last by Sorcy ().

• Sorcy wrote:

[...]
      I strongly disagree to additionally help to those who by pure luck unfairly advantaged above other players becaue of downtime.
      [...]
      That's the reason why i think that the backup is the fairer way to go. Even if annoying for us, who play with some constance.
      If we return to the last sure backup (used after the second shutdown) there will ba also a good amout of resources, if that's important. Anyways IMHO those resources are one of the reasons that stopped many players from removing the v-mode, i don't think that's a very intelligent spot. Maybe a backup done just after or one day after this shutdown (so that there shouldn't be ongoing fleetsaves) is better.

About our little off-topic..

Display Spoiler
      Maybe you didn't play for more than a month because i don't remember you there (my nick was "Fra..", with the two points, and i was the top miner). But, more probably, you are confusing the servers because those images are surely not andromeda.us.
    • Canarefr wrote:

Display Spoiler
      Maybe you didn't play for more than a month because i don't remember you there (my nick was "Fra..", with the two points, and i was the top miner). But, more probably, you are confusing the servers because those images are surely not andromeda.us.

I had a strangely developed account with 9 moons, numerous top10 HoF crashes for "not more than a month of playing".

But you seems right here and I am sorry for confusion. Mistake seems completely on my side.

I was playing 1st ogame.us server which as in case of ogame.si which I started around same time as I quitted .us wasn't named by galaxies (andromeda/betelgeus/cygnus/etc..) but numbers (Universe1/2/3..)
      I started ogame.us the very first moment community was open (Universe1) while it seems Andromeda in .us was actually 8th server.

Ogame.us archive:
      Universe 1 Ogame Awards 2008 Nominations

Who's "most missed" player here? :)

edit: signature edited to avoid confusion and reflect proper information (i am sorry for that)

9 years passed and it seems I am not so good with names anymore. Again, I am sorry for that.
      ex #1st ranked uni1 .us

The post was edited 7 times, last by Sorcy ().

• 1. ever heard of weekends? i don't know how it is with your countries but in germany we have the one good thing that came out of poland: Solidarność (and several good looking east prussian girls, i like slavs <3). paired with this little "no support" statement we are lucky to have the support we have (even though i was/am raging at it at times i am still thankful).
      2. maybe, just maybe, an attack ban is not possible in this version. iirc bu+v was the way to go back then, but it has been over a decade and i am a vivid fan of the cannabinoid quisine, so bear with me pls.
      3. mining is the way to go as long as the server is post v327a
      03-11-05 17:16:47 Allianz [reTOS] Mitgliedschaft in Allianz [reTOS] beendet
      Spieler Sanguinius hat die Allianz [reTOS] aufgelöst.
      Sie und alle anderen Spieler können sich nun neu bewerben
      R.I.P, baby
    • Hi,

Canarefr wrote:

That's the reason why i think that the backup is the fairer way to go. Even if annoying for us, who play with some constance.
      If we return to the last sure backup (used after the second shutdown) there will ba also a good amout of resources, if that's important. Anyways IMHO those resources are one of the reasons that stopped many players from removing the v-mode, i don't think that's a very intelligent spot. Maybe a backup done just after or one day after this shutdown (so that there shouldn't be ongoing fleetsaves) is better.
      In my case, that's exactly the problem... With between 2 to 5 M of resources per planet after the first comeback (the first failed patching attempt), it would have taken me too many days to save resources due to the server comeback occurring at the middle of a working week, so I postponed removing the v-mode to the week-end... When the server was taken down for the second time. The second comeback was even worse because it occurred a Monday, so 5 days 'til week-end (+ I was ill) and server taken down again when I decided to give it a go on April 30... :lol:

With a newer backup, I am afraid that when the server will comeback, as I have been able to take a look around my account after each roll back thus stopping the storage bug, I (and probably others players who haven't had the time to put their account out of vacation like me) wouldn't collect more resources while miners who have been able to play in-between would have accumulated three to four times more. That is not pretty fair.

Besides, due to DDOS preventing server access for random users while others can still play in the meanwhile and therefore lost their fleets, not to mention those who lost their account due to involuntary inactivity, I think it would make senses to roll back before all this fuss, just after the first take down (while reapplying inactivity timer reset), once and for all. And why not with a ceasefire until the following week-end to let some days to naturally stress test the server in real conditions to see if every thing is really alright this time, all this without vacation mode to strongly enforce playing again. :evil:
    • Jango wrote:

of course miners get the most from this downtime (because of storage bug).

And I personally wouldn't need an attack ban.
      But there are many small/new player with accounts which are not in the slightest prepared for those amounts of res.When those get farmed, they will loose the interested in playing this server quicker than a top200 miner who got farmed once. Which would lead to an even faster server death. Therefore, to give the smaller guys a chance an attack ban would be nice.
      Of course, they could build ships and defense, but this doesn'T solve the problem. Example: A small player pushes all his res in the shipyard, after a full night of producing a fleeter sees the new ships and kills them. The small player is pissed and quits. Sure he could just check every 5hours and save the new ships. But seriously not everyone is such a "hardcore" gamer, these times are over.

I don't think that an attack ban for only lower players is possible, therefore it has to be a complete attack ban.

This being said. Actually I don't think that there will be an attack ban at all. Simple reason: IMHO attack ban is not implemented on this server (or it is bugged) ...

My argument still stays. Those resources should not be here in first place. Also this potential farm incident for "small player" in reality isn't any different that regular game play. Some handle it, some does not.
      I mean who do you think you're fooling? It's not like 'some resources more or less/one farming more or less' specifically will keep player in game. If he can't handle it he's a farm already. Some free gift from above does not keep quiters in game. That's just myth ... Every ogame community I ever played had some brief moment of utopian ideas about free resources, protection, bla bla.. for newcomers.
      It never worked out. Player who like this game and challenge will stay, quiter will quit.

Beside that as this is something you get for free for no particular reason while as example fleeter did not get it, it doesn't make any difference if you just waste it for defence or whatever. Why would gameforge make it even easier to utilize something you gained unfairly vs other players without your own intervention?
      Profit from all this mess is here. Embrace it, spend it however you want. Or simply waste it. Whatever. But don't request from gameforge to additionally help you protect it from those who didn't get it in first place. VM does all this and then it's up to you. All the rest is laziness and greed to advantage from crappy downtime situation as much as possible.
      ex #1st ranked uni1 .us

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sorcy ().

• Sorcy wrote:

Beside that as this is something you get for free for no particular reason while as example fleeter did not get it, it doesn't make any difference if you just waste it for defence or whatever.

whilst i am with you on the bug itself you are just plain wrong.

lets have an example:

you got 5 bucks and jango has 7 (his mines are better)
      the both of you don't look into their bank account for time x
      you make 5 bucks a month and jango makes 4 (farming vs mining)
      the both of you loose their jobs at the exact same time and thus have no income
      you aswell as jango still get interest
      you get less (5 vs 7 base) but you get interest.

the only way to say anything against this example is that today there are no interests on bank accounts unless they are blocked from withdraws for x amount of time kappa
      03-11-05 17:16:47 Allianz [reTOS] Mitgliedschaft in Allianz [reTOS] beendet
      Spieler Sanguinius hat die Allianz [reTOS] aufgelöst.
      Sie und alle anderen Spieler können sich nun neu bewerben
      R.I.P, baby
    • Maybe it's my lack of english knowledge but i very rarely understand what you write, @Rusiak.
      What do you mean in that example with "loose the job", "get interest" and "bank accounts"?

About the rest, i still think that the backup is the only think that matches the ideas of Sorcy (canceling the miners overproduction) and who asks for protection (because there won't be anything to protect).

Also, it's not true that who doesn' know how to handle the resources is already a farm. Smaller you are and higher is your mines production compared to the account logistic. Many players can be fairly good with the res management, but can't foresaw that, the next day they will be able to play, there will be magically a 10d production over the last one.

Stated this, i need to point out that i say this for the SERVER health, not for me. Personally the simple v-mode is ideal, I am one who profits more from this situation (more than me only athena, leshak and probably jango), i am perfectly able to handle the resources, and i'm sure that those general amounts of ress will only lower the number of players and will end in turtling for many others. Less and more turtled players there are, bigger willl be my benefit over fleeters.
      Think at this when you post, are you looking for personal profit or collectivity profit?
    • Rusiak wrote:

Sorcy wrote:

Beside that as this is something you get for free for no particular reason while as example fleeter did not get it, it doesn't make any difference if you just waste it for defence or whatever.
      whilst i am with you on the bug itself you are just plain wrong.

lets have an example:

you got 5 bucks and jango has 7 (his mines are better)
      the both of you don't look into their bank account for time x
      you make 5 bucks a month and jango makes 4 (farming vs mining)
      the both of you loose their jobs at the exact same time and thus have no income
      you aswell as jango still get interest
      you get less (5 vs 7 base) but you get interest.

the only way to say anything against this example is that today there are no interests on bank accounts unless they are blocked from withdraws for x amount of time kappa
      Rusiak your analogy is plain wrong.

I decided to earn my profit playing with fleet, Jango decided to earn his profit playing with mines.
      And then bug occour. I am not allowed to use it to multiply my resources, my profit. I still need to earn my profit with fleeting.
      With miners is right opposite. Server is on halt, no one do everything in game and yet miners seems still profit compared to other players because of this bug.
      What you're suggesting here is that there's no income because we "don't look into our bank account for time x", which means I as a fleeter don't play because of lack of my own time, incapability, lazynes or some third reason my side.
      But thing is that I don't fleet because server is on halt. Because of bug. Becuase no one play. And that's the reason why no one should profit from this situation against other players.

In other words, you're describing completely different situation. Mines produce xx resources in 24 hours, fleet produce xx resources in 24 hours. If I decide not to hunt this day then we're in situation you're described. But in this specific situation server is on halt for everyone. Complete game is basically shut down for all of us. No one should gain advantage above other player in those "24 hours".

Situation is as it is. Fleetes have nothing than accept it. But additional help of gameforge to help to those who profited from downtime vs rest of the universe is completely other thing and I can't agree with it.
      ex #1st ranked uni1 .us

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sorcy ().

• Sorcy wrote:

But thing is that I don't fleet because server is on halt. Because of bug. Becuase no one play. And that's the reason why no one should profit from this situation against other players.
      I agree with you. I forgot that point in my post but IMHO, alongside measures I mentioned/expect for the comeback, resources production should be frozen too (but it implies that a backup of the very first day of the first shutdown exists and to do probably some tricks in the database to enforce 0% production on each account).

But I am afraid that nothing will be done unfortunately and we will probably simply get a random backup from anywhere between the second and the last take down only with a forced vacation. :cursing:
    • Thanks! :)

I hope that no one gets me wrong here.
      I am not complaining because of miners still earn 100% profit in the weeks of downtime and fleeters stay poor because of this same downtime. That's something what we all should understand and accept. It sucks for fleeters compared to miners who advantage from situation but things are as they are.

What I am against is specifically non attack ban after player leave protection (vacation mode) to help to those who profited in the time of downtime to utilize accumulated resources easier.
      Miner is in advantage here already with accumulated resources at the time of this downtime. There's really no need additional help from gameforge to those who profited vs other players in this situation.

(But as Jango above already figured out - all this is just matter of discussion most likely. In case of vacation mode additional non attack ban isn't expected anyway.)
      ex #1st ranked uni1 .us