Login is closed for Retro server

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Athenacompet wrote:

If there are no announcements for the reopening, maybe there will be one for closing? To be fixed ...
      Ha, that's the point. Quietly introduce some bug, because you don't want to maintain the free server, let pople think, that someone is fixing the issue, and wait... Wait until most of the players would lose temper, eventually delete their account, then cry that no one is playing and (un)fortunately close the server, as no one is interested.
      100% success plan.
    • If there are no announcements for the reopening, maybe there will be one for closing? To be fixed ...

Kanc1erz wrote:

Ha, that's the point. Quietly introduce some bug, because you don't want to maintain the free server, let pople think, that someone is fixing the issue, and wait... Wait until most of the players would lose temper, eventually delete their account, then cry that no one is playing and (un)fortunately close the server, as no one is interested.100% success plan.
      it's simple. they have no respect for players.
    • Daidegas wrote:

If there are no announcements for the reopening, maybe there will be one for closing? To be fixed ...

Kanc1erz wrote:

Ha, that's the point. Quietly introduce some bug, because you don't want to maintain the free server, let pople think, that someone is fixing the issue, and wait... Wait until most of the players would lose temper, eventually delete their account, then cry that no one is playing and (un)fortunately close the server, as no one is interested.100% success plan.
      it's simple. they have no respect for players.
      They don't unless you are paying for antimatter.
    • sometimes players should remember that retro server is a gift from GameForge, not something that was due to it.
      And when server started one simple thing was wrote "no support" = "no fix bugs, no developen of code, no edit of code ...... only normal check of rules".
      Retro server is started for the work of a developer (a lot of edit in code to have possibility to have a working universe that requests near 1 year) that now don't work anymore for GameForge ....... so don't sound so strange that now to fix a big bug is so hard and so long.

And if GameForge have decided or will decide to spend time to fix his bug, instead to shotdown universe, is an other gift ........... because if you have read row 2, they had decided don't spend other time of his developer for the future.

Maybe, as often there is a problem of comunication between GameForge and his players about developen of game, and we are sad don't have information, but this don't want to say that they have already decided to close server.

• All those who want to play even with the BUG raise their hand ?!

This is not the most disturbing bug I've seen ... the few affected players should simply have restrictions or be monitored / blocked the time they repair the server, this would keep the community of the universe ...

This universe is so special, that they would lose more than they believe in wanting to close it ...
    • TGWo wrote:

sometimes players should remember that retro server is a gift from GameForge, not something that was due to it.
      And when server started one simple thing was wrote "no support" = "no fix bugs, no developen of code, no edit of code ...... only normal check of rules".
      Retro server is started for the work of a developer (a lot of edit in code to have possibility to have a working universe that requests near 1 year) that now don't work anymore for GameForge ....... so don't sound so strange that now to fix a big bug is so hard and so long.

And if GameForge have decided or will decide to spend time to fix his bug, instead to shotdown universe, is an other gift ........... because if you have read row 2, they had decided don't spend other time of his developer for the future.

Maybe, as often there is a problem of comunication between GameForge and his players about developen of game, and we are sad don't have information, but this don't want to say that they have already decided to close server.
      Hell yes, you're right, but shouldn't they just say: Hi, well, we will switch off the server.. However we cannot say so, so first of all we will just emulate that we are fixing the bug. If they don't want to be charity for what purpose did they open the retro server?!
      If you give something, don't take it back.. It's popular proverb in many countries.
    • hm, some of those posts sound like a tweet from Trump - absurd assumptions to stir people up against the authorities.

Athenacompet wrote:

All those who want to play even with the BUG raise their hand ?!
      Nah, I don't really think they can monitor the usage of this bug, and as you know it can have a severe impact.

TGWo wrote:

Maybe, as often there is a problem of comunication between GameForge and his players about developen of game
      This. This. This. This. This is the main problem we have right now, no information what they do, what they are planning to do. Some bits of information could help. Else we have some guys who think of some weird conspiracy theories and there are enough other who believe them or add something to it. Which only leads to uncertain users.

Athenacompet wrote:

If they put in place the 4 "commanders",It should not disturb
      This could help, yes. I don't like payment features, but yeah why not. But again, they probably would need to implement those from scratch. And taking a look at the number of users and time needed for other bugfixes (because of missing knowledge about the code) it probably would cost more to implement it, than it would produce in cash.

Maybe in combination with a server reset (not a big fan of a reset atm) this could be interesting (more users = more willing to pay). But I hope before they implement it and reset the server they ask the community if we want some other small changes to the server!
    • Jango wrote:

Maybe in combination with a server reset (not a big fan of a reset atm) this could be interesting (more users = more willing to pay). But I hope before they implement it and reset the server they ask the community if we want some other small changes to the server!
      This would be an offtopic, however I am wondering why they didn't attach the newest possible version of the retro style?
      Introducing the good, old commander (AND ONLY COOMMANDER), as it truly was in the retro OGame would be enough to gain some incomes and motivate stuff to look after this server better. Am I right?
      No antimatter, no officers (or how do you call them, I cannot recognize now), no stupid boosts...

They made a great PR by opening the retro server, however they, from the scratch, wanted to discourage people from playing this server (and they were quite successful, just look at the decreasing number of players, but "quite" was not enough, so, by some bugs they distracted those who have been playing anyway and made the server unplayable).
    • Kanc1erz wrote:

however they, from the scratch, wanted to discourage people from playing this server (and they were quite successful, just look at the decreasing number of players, but "quite" was not enough, so, by some bugs they distracted those who have been playing anyway and made the server unplayable).
      They did this on purpose? Stop trumping...

Concerning the other things: As stated multiple times before, they needed to adapt the code to the new infrastructure etc (maybe they lost the latest version, idk). These adaptations resulted in some bugs. E.g. acs is bugged, so they throw this feature away, commander is bugged, so they gave us the few non bugged features (moon scan in galaxy etc). Battlecruiser is bugged too, therefore no bc.
      I think it doesn't matter which version they used, because they needed to adapt every version (except redesign, but redesign != retro).
    • Jango wrote:

Kanc1erz wrote:

however they, from the scratch, wanted to discourage people from playing this server (and they were quite successful, just look at the decreasing number of players, but "quite" was not enough, so, by some bugs they distracted those who have been playing anyway and made the server unplayable).
      They did this on purpose? Stop trumping...
      Concerning the other things: As stated multiple times before, they needed to adapt the code to the new infrastructure etc (maybe they lost the latest version, idk). These adaptations resulted in some bugs. E.g. acs is bugged, so they throw this feature away, commander is bugged, so they gave us the few non bugged features (moon scan in galaxy etc). Battlecruiser is bugged too, therefore no bc.
      I think it doesn't matter which version they used, because they needed to adapt every version (except redesign, but redesign != retro).
      It's not trumping.
      I see, that my post was already deleted, great. (freedom to express my thoughts)
      so, ok, if everything is/was bugged why was it working few years ago? And how?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kanc1erz ().

• Kanc1erz wrote:

I see, that my post was already deleted, great. (freedom to express my thoughts)
      no it isn't?

Kanc1erz wrote:

seriously, this was answered so many times in the last posts. Try to read and understand pls!
      Some quotes:

Jango wrote:

As stated multiple times before, they needed to adapt the code to the new infrastructure etc (maybe they lost the latest version, idk). These adaptations resulted in some bugs.

NoMoreAngel wrote:

It's more complex than just a fleet duplication but some other things that are way more serious. The repair for those things back in the time was the v1 update, aka the redesign.
    • Jango wrote:

Kanc1erz wrote:

no it isn't?

Kanc1erz wrote:

seriously, this was answered so many times in the last posts. Try to read and understand pls!Some quotes:

Jango wrote:

As stated multiple times before, they needed to adapt the code to the new infrastructure etc (maybe they lost the latest version, idk). These adaptations resulted in some bugs.

@1 - yes, it is, maybe I misread the topic, Sorry for that.
      @2 - I don't believe it. Back-ups, as the history is the crucial thing for every company, especially for big ones like GameForge. Are you a programmer or somehow connected to IT?
    • so, ok, if everything is/was bugged why was it working few years ago? And how?

12 years ago, a lot of elements in the equation asking "how did it worked" were different :

- internet browsers were different (firefox 4.0 then, firefox 48 now).

- PHP code as an example, was different in 2005 than now (same reason : the code has evolved / changed for a part of it).

- Network are much more complicated now (questions like 'how to secure a server ?' and 'how to secure each user of the game ?' have different answers now than before.

So the code of the "new" retro universe from 2016 has to be adapted from the old code, otherwise it would not be able to work. And by adapted I mean it took a lot of work from Devlatron to enable the old code to be compatible with our "modern" internet.

In addition, I do not believe for a second that GF is at the origin of the problems on retro server. The announcement was explicit regarding the lack of technical support for retro, but because retro is a part of the image of the "good old days" of Ogame, I think GF has no interrest to see it down. On the contrary, I'm pretty sure they would be very happy to see Retro universe working, remember that some GF employes -especially one- worked on their own time on this project (adaptation of the old universe code to modern internet).

We have to wait, and please I hope nobody will become part of those random guys who see conspiracy everywhere. Some hackers and cheaters were skilled enough to find weaknesses on the code to cheat / to hack accounts / etc. They are to blame (and the code which is not perfect of course, and let those hackers breack through), no one else.

Greetings to eveyone, hope you are all dealing as good as you can with the lack of our favorite internet drug :D

French player - wordreference user :D

The post was edited 3 times, last by Evagelan ().